In the era of big data, more and more organizations utilize data to unlock new business values:
making better-informed decisions, discovering hidden insights and automating business processes.
This leads to an emerging field, called data science. This course will cover the basic concepts of data science,
basic algorithms and software tools for analyzing data (preprocessing data, representing data, model developing, and result evaluating).
The course mainly includes three topics:
1) Data preproces & exploratory data analysis: preprocess tools/programming, data visualization etc.
2) Model: statistical modeling and machine learning
3) Applications: real world topics and case studies.
1) Basic Statistics and Linear Algebra(undergraduate level)
2) Basic experience in programming and database
[03.12.2014] Course website is online!
[04.12.2014] Draft schedule is published!
What is Data Science?
To gain insights into data through computation, statistics, and visualization
A Data Scientist Is ...
“A data scientist is someone who knows more statistics than a computer scientist and more computer science than a statistician.”
- Josh Blumenstock
“Data Scientist = statistician + programmer + coach + storyteller + artist”
- Shlomo Aragmon
“The sexy job in the next 10 years will be statisticians(data scientists)”
-Hal Varian, chief economist at Google.
By 2018, the United States alone could face a shortage of up to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.
- McKinsey Global Institute